Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 2 (or just how far I'll go for cupcakes)

I did so much walking while in NYC. On Friday I went out and did some exploring to bookstores, bakeries and other random shops that caught my eye. I was using my phone to figure out where to go next and also look around and see if there were places in the area that seemed especially interesting. Prior to this trip I came up with a list of bakeries I wanted to try to hit. I found most of these bakeries from years of following Cupcakes Take The Cake. Some of these bakeries I've wanted to go to since high school (about 5 years ago) and other I've stumbled upon more recently.
One that I've always wanted to go to is BIlly's Bakery. However when I planned the trip I cut it for time reasons. very sad but necessary. Well. As I wandered around Friday morning I realized I had extra time and Billy's was only about 1.5 miles away from where I was. No biggie, right? Wrong. Those city blocks are really long. Plus I had a bag full of books. Oh, and my brand new, super cute boots were digging into my feet and giving me huge blisters. But I went anyways. Have I mentioned I love cupcakes?

I got there and couldn't help but grin like a fool. It smelled so. good. (They pump the smell out into the street. no lie.)
(Yep. I documented everything. The bakery was small and the owners looked at me life I was crazy. I tried to explain but I don't think they got it.)

I ended up getting a vanilla/vanilla, banana with cream cheese, and pumpkin with cream cheese icing.
(my first cupcakes in NYC!)

The banana and pumpkin were so. good. I loved the cream cheese icing. It was great because it wasn't super sweet, overly creamy, etc. It was the perfect blend. The banana was my favorite because not only did it have the great cream cheese icing but the cake itself was also really good. Very banana-y. I'm big on the cake part of cupcakes and this one did not disappoint. It was the perfect balance of moist and dry- not too far on either end of the spectrum.

(the vanilla, vanilla)

The Vanilla cake with vanilla icing (aka Yellow Daisy) was my least favorite. It just wasn't really anything special, although it was pretty. It also didn't help that I ate this cupcake the next day so it was really dry, although I was surprised by hor dry it got in a super short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment